Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Back to the Busyness

We are back at it again! Classes and, more importantly, exams have begun: Duh Duh Duhhh!

This block I am enrolled in Virology, Parasitology, Bacteriology II, and Special Pathology. Classes are actually pretty interesting, though some are a little dry (I'm looking at you, Path). I adore Parasitology! It's the one class I wanted to take in undergrad that just never meshed with my schedule. The teacher is fantastic, and the labs are interactive and informative. I think it has definitely sealed the nail in my nerd coffin: just yesterday a group of us were standing around debating whether I had been attacked by biting midges or small mosquitoes….yeah, so that's what vet school is like.

I am much more involved with the vet school community this year. I always seem to do better with my studies when I am actively involved; maybe it's time management or maybe I'm just happier, either way it works for me. For a not so short rundown, I am involved with: Shelter Club, Behavior Club, SCAAHA, SCAVMA, Wellness Committee, ZEW CLUB, Exotics Symposium PR Committee, South Africa Summer Program, and Student Ambassadors.

This year I am most excited about the SCAVMA Wellness Committee and South Africa Summer Program. The Wellness Committee is a new group that is planning fun events open to all Mizzou vet students and their significant others. I'm not sure if this is true for all vet schools, but our classes are super cliquey. Everyone sits in the same seats in class, eats in the same place with the same people for lunch, and never make time to get to know anyone else. Wellness Committee is made up of the people who couldn't take it anymore; we're really trying to break down these barriers within and between classes.

South Africa Summer Program is a totally different area; a group of VM-2s are traveling to South Africa next summer to study on different animal reserves for a few weeks. Thanks to super supportive parents and some loan money, I get to go!! We are planning and hosting fundraisers to raise support for our group. I am so excited, I can barely stand it. A few of us are planning on staying longer to explore different areas of Africa. My #1 goal is to go to the coast and see the flying great white sharks. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, I invite you to feast your eyes on this awesomeness:


You want to go to South Africa, now, don't you?


As you can see, my schedule is crazzzzy this block (my own fault), so I can't promise to update frequently, but I will promise to do my best. My goal at this point is to post at least every two weeks. Posts might just be updates on how fun some activity was or some cool new thing I learned, so be prepared for randomness. Please leave comments if you like hearing about certain topics or if you want to know about something specific.

To end, I will leave you with my favorite teacher comment so far:
"Fires: good for getting rid of the plague, NOT good for churches."

No comments:

Post a Comment