Thursday, January 13, 2011

Radiology: It's Not All Just Black and White

So, I have started up again with Instructional Period 8. This block contains Radiology, Clinical Pathology, Laboratory Animal Medicine, and Pharmacology II.

One of my favorite classes this block is Lab Animal. So far in Lab Animal we have discussed chinchillas, guinea pigs (my favorite!!), and ferrets. I am really thinking that pocket pet medicine might be where I want to head. I love working with the tiny critters, and I just don't feel like they get their fair share of attention at normal small animal clinics. It makes sense, of course, because it's not these vets area of expertise, but I want to be able to offer that option to my clients. Mizzou is hosting the Exotics Symposium this weekend, so hopefully I will make some nice connections and figure out a little better if this is something I'd be interested in long term.

On the other hand, I seriously love radiology. It's only week two, so please prepare to hear me change my tune. This is a high likelihood, because rumor is the second half of the class is just pure ridiculousness. BUT, for right now I LOVE it. The urogenital system has been my favorite. I did lose a bet (of a cup of free coffee) about whether something may or may not have been a kidney, but I have learned and nailed the diagnosis the next time I saw it. I was even able to explain why it didn't follow the normal diagnostic details we typically see with perirenal pseudocysts. I also rocked a diagnosis for prostate cancer. I cannot get enough of my radiology lab; it's just like playing clue! We get a little background history, pop the radiographs up and point out the things we see and what the diagnosis may be. Then we reach into our bag for what I have termed our "clue card" to determine if we are right. And, there's a coffee break! Why can't all my labs be fun games that come with snacks?

So: exotics/lab animal or radiology? Maybe both? Neither? Only time will tell.

My only other question right now is, Where can I find a purple laser pointer? I "need" it for radio lab :)

No comments:

Post a Comment